Re: [Xen-users] crazy error message

michael copeland wrote:

its super cool how none of my messages ever get a response.. i mean you'd think people would give a damn about someone building a xen power hpc cuda cluster, but yeah, i guess not. here's to keeping my software closed source.

OK. I've looked back through my deleted messages, and I see two previous messages from you - neither of which actually ask a particularly good question. One asks "Anyone else have this problem ?" - so are you saying it's wrong that you didn't get loads of replies saying "I don't" ? The other just says that an **UNSTABLE** version doesn't boot on unspecified hardware with an unspecified config - but doesn't actually ask a question (even if it's implied). It's well out of my area of expertise, but my view of unstable versions is that you only run them if you have the skills to deal with the problems - and that means being able to debug complex software you didn't write. If you can't do that, then stable releases are more appropriate.

Also, in those previous questions, I see nothing at all about what you are trying to do with it, perhaps if you are trying to build a cluster then it might "scratch an itch" for someone and incline them more to trying to help.

It could just be that no-one actually has an answer - after all, Xen 4 is fairly new and those that are working with it are probably still getting up to speed on what works/doesn't work.

This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with software being open or closed source, it has to do with the nature of a **FREE** community help forum. The people on this list are providing what help they can, in their spare time. They aren't being paid for it, they are just sharing what they have picked up. The downside to that is that you may have a problem no-one has a clue about - and isn't motivated enough to put a lot of time and effort into digging for an answer. Having someone pop-up on the list, posting a half question with little information, and then bitching when they don't get the sort of response they might have reason to expect of a **PAID** service isn't likely to get you many friends. Just because you need it for work doesn't mean others are obligated to put effort into helping you for nothing - people may take the attitude that if it's that critical then you may consider putting something back and actually buy support from someone.

You aren't going to like this next bit, but it's the truth. You've probably alienated the very people who might have been able to help you when you do ask good questions. That's human nature whether you like it or not.

--
Simon Hobson