Re: [Xen-users] HVM domain can not boot up with Qcow incremental image

To: 鲍政 <baozheng275@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM domain can not boot up with Qcow incremental image
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:45:57 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:47:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2010/7/22 鲍政 <baozheng275@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dear,
>
> Beg for your help. I am really puzzled with this problem.
>
> HVM domain can not boot up with Qcow incremental image(using command:
> qcow-create size incremental_file original_Qcow_img_file), but it can boot
> up with the original Qcow disk image file.

> The OS is CentOS 5.4,with xen 3.3.1.

Short summary, qcow is known to be broken in some versions of Xen.
You could probably try:
- update to xen 4.0.0
- use vhd instead of qcow:
http://lxr.xensource.com/lxr/source/tools/blktap2/README

you could use packaged xen 4 from Gitco, but if you want to use
blktap2+vhd you'd need a newer kernel, which AFAIK is not available as
binary package for Centos (yet).
Try http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-07/msg00452.html
if you want to use the version that I use (you need to build the RPM
yourself from the provided SRPM, and it's only tested on x86_64).

--
Fajar