Re: [Xen-users] XCP vm installation issue

To: Peter den Hartog <peterdenhartog@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP vm installation issue
From: Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:39:28 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:40:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

For 10 times now i tried to install a VM in to my new XCP machine but everytime i get the same error:

[root@xcp-digitog ~]# xe vm-start vm=Debian6
Error code: Using <class 'grub.GrubConf.Grub2ConfigFile'> to parse /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Error parameters: WARNING:root:Unknown directive load_video, Traceback (most recent call last):,   File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 746, in ?,     raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel", RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel,
[root@xcp-digitog ~]#

It runs the installation correctly, HD detection works, it asks if i want to install grub and of course i answer with yes, but then at first bootup it just dies with above error. I have the same issue with Debian 5.

I'm running XCP 0.5

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Peter
_______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing list Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
I've spent a few hours until I figured it out (this morning). It seems to me that the problem is, that squeeze uses root (hd0,msdos1) instead of (hd0,0) in the grub config. So before the install would have finished I asked it to drop me to shell, and there I've edited the grub config file, and now have a working squeeze (64bit PV) install.

Good luck!

Geza