Re: [Xen-users] Xm console unable centos 5.5 Full virt

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xm console unable centos 5.5 Full virt
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:36:33 +0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:38:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Michael Mendoza <michaelux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I am comming back to the virtualization...
> Days ago I installed Centos 5.5  and I want to tray xen Full
> virtualization.. so I create and installed my Full virtual machine. I use
> virt-manager... the VM run pretty well...
> But... If I connect remotly using ssh to domain0 and then use "xm console
> ID" I get nothing.... and I have to ctrl + ].... (this happen too if I am
> locally in the host machine)

Short answer: since you use full virtualization, the domU (guest) was
not setup by default to use the serial console.

> I dont use ssh directly to guest because it use dhcp..so in any moment the
> IP can change and maybe I can not login...
> Or is there any way to know the address  of any guest(with dhcp) without
> access to console ?

There are some ways (not Xen-specific), using dynamic dns being the easiest one.

> Above is the Vm conf file and guest grub.conf....
>

> I search in common problems, edit the grub.conf on the guest with
> console=tty , but I can not access to the console....I have 2 days reading
> and searching but nothing work.. and I am no really sure if the console is
> available using FULL virtualization...

you need to edit /etc/inittab and /etc/securetty to use ttyS0 as well

> title CentOS (2.6.18-194.3.1.el5)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>         console=tty0 console=ttys0

it should be ttyS0, not ttys0

--
Fajar