Re: [Xen-users] DomU stuck in boot

To: Thomas Graves <tgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU stuck in boot
From: Thomas Graves <tgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:05:07 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:07:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I upgraded to xen-3.4.3 and rhel5.4 and it actually seems to happen more often.  It does hang at a different point though. All the console shows is “console tty=/dev/pts/1”.

No one has seen this?

Tom

On 6/17/10 9:09 AM, "Thomas Graves" <tgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry my reply formatting got messed up, reposting with it fixed.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Thomas Graves <tgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am running xen-3.3.1 with rhel5.3 dom0.
>>I have a rhel5.3 domU that is stuck in the boot process. It seems it is
>> trying to bring up the network.  We see this problem only occassionally.

> So it's not login console not displayed, only something that happens
> occasionally?

Right, I’ve seen it happen 3 times in the past month or so.  It will start to boot and I can see the console up to the the line  ( Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]) and then the console stops and it never gets to the login prompt and the network isn’t up yet so I can’t get into it.

>> It has been stuck for a few days now. I did a dump-core on it and it seems
>> to be doing network start -> ifup-eth ifcfg-eth0 boot -> ip link set dev
>> eth0 up -> hypercall.  I'm somewhat assuming it made the hypercall but never
>> got the event back but I'm not sure as I'm new to this.   Does anyone have a
>> good pointers on how exactly hypercalls work or any info on looking at
>> event-channels?  Any ideas why it might be stuck?

> I never had this problem, but here's several things you might want to try:
> - udate your OS. RHEL 5.5. is out already. At least update your kernel-xen rpm.
> - update your Xen version. Xen 3.4.2 (the easy way is from Gitco) has
> been quite stable for me. If you want to try latest version, you could
> also test Xen 4.0

I actually just upgraded a box to rhel5.4 and xen3.4.2 so I’ll try it there to see if I see it but since it doesn’t happen very often probably won’t know for sure for a while.

Any pointers on good reads on debugging the events or ring buffers?  Like how to map xenstore info to something useful to look at:
 tx-ring-ref = "768"
 rx-ring-ref = "769"
 event-channel = "14"

Thanks again