[Xen-users] [XCP] Booting dom0 from iSCSI + bringing up VMs?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] [XCP] Booting dom0 from iSCSI + bringing up VMs?
From: Derrik Pates <dpates@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:35:45 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 02:06:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All,

We are attempting to boot XCP on machines with no local storage, and use
iSCSI-based network storage by PXE booting the machines (not using an
iSCSI HBA, just plain gigabit/10gigE networking). We are finding that
the dom0 can boot, but if we attempt to set up a domU and boot it, the
whole machine seems to give out, like the dom0 just lost its IP address
(ssh session croaks, can't ping dom0, start getting "task hung too long"
warnings via console). This also persisted upon rebooting, requiring
manual editing of /var/xapi/state.db to get it back into working condition.

Has anyone else tried this? Is the network configuration toolset doing
something to dom0's eth0 interface that might cause it to temporarily
lose its IP, in a way that wouldn't matter with local storage? I'm not
sure if it's something specifically related to Open VSwitch, or if it's
the xe tools that are misbehaving or what. Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Regards,

--
Derrik Pates