Re: [Xen-users] XEN Network configuration

To: Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN Network configuration
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:58:05 +0700
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:59:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Net Warrior <netwarrior863@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I need some advice about how to set up my network, I'm a bit confused.
>
> First, all the docs I read talk about a xenbr0 interfase which I do not
> have, I only have eth0 of course and peth0.

Old Xen version use xenbr0 as the default bridge name.
Newer Xen version use eth0 as the default bridge name

> eth0 is wired to the internet with a public IP, peth0 has no ip.
> So i do not know how to handle peth0 in order to enable the DomU gests
> to connect to the internet.
>
> xend-config looks like this.
>
> (network-script network-bridge)
> (vif-script vif-bridge)
>
> Do not know if my DomU config file should be
> vif = [ 'bridge=eth0' ]
> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
> vif = [ 'bridge=peth0' ]
> vif = [ip=x.x.x.x ]

run "brctl show"
look at the column "bridge name". I suggest you add static MAC address
there as well, to prevent domU from detecting MAC address changes and
(in some distros) assign new device names  every time domU boots. I
also like to put custom vif name, so I'd get more meaningful entry in
dom0 (e.g. when doing "brctl show") instead of just something like
"vif5.0".

My entry for bridge networking is something like this (note that I use
custom bridge)

vif =   [
        'mac=00:16:3E:52:CB:78, bridge=br129, vifname=ubuntu-eth0'
        ]

Also note that the default bridge networking (in your case, using eth0
bridge) means domU will be using the same method as dom0 to get its IP
address. This is fine when you're in a LAN with dhcp enabled. It might
became a problem, however, for some dom0 networking setup (for
example, if the dom0 needs to use pptp to get internet access)

--
Fajar