[Xen-users] Re: very odd iowait problem

To: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: very odd iowait problem
From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:02:56 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:04:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm experiencing a very odd, daily, high-load situation - that seems to localize in my disk stack. I direct this to the xen-users, linux-raid and linux-ha lists as I expect there's a pretty high degree of experience on these lists with complicated disk driver stacks.

I recently virtualized a production system, and have been slowly wringing out the bugs that have shown up. This seems to be the last one, and it's a doozie.

Basic setup: Two identical machines except for the DomUs they're running.

Two machines, slightly older Pentium 4 processors, 4meg RAM each (max), 2 CPUs each, 4 SATA Drives each.
Debian Lenny Install for Dom0 and DomUs (2.6.26-2-xen-686)

Disk setup on each:
- 4 partitions on each drive
- 3 RAID-1s set up across the 4 drives (4 drives in each - yes it's silly, but easy) - for Dom0 /boot / swap - 1 RAID-6 set up across the 4 drives - set up as a LVM PV - underlies all my DomUs note: all the RAIDs are set up with internal metadata, chunk size of 131072KB - per advice here - works like a charm
- pairs of LVs - / and swap per VM
- each LV is linked with it's counterpart on the other machine, using DRBD
- LVs are specified as drbd: devices in DomU .cfg files
- LVs are mounted with noatime option inside production DomU - makes a big difference

A few DomUs - currently started and stopped either via links in /etc/xen/auto or manually - I've temporarily turned off heartbeat and pacemaker until I get the underlying stuff stable.

------
now to the problem:

for several days in a row, at 2:05am, iowait on the production DomU went from averaging 10% or to 100% (I've been running vmstat 1 in a window and watching the iowait column)

the past two days, this has happened at 2:26am instead of 2:05

rebooting the VM fixes the problem, though it has occured again within 20 minutes of the reboot, and then another reboot fixes the problem until 2am the next day

killing a bunch of processes also fixed things, but at that point so little was running that I just rebooted the DomU - unfortunately, one night it looked like lwresd was eating up resources, the next night it was something else.

------
ok... so I'm thinking there'a cron job that's doing something that eats up all my i/o - I traced a couple of other issues back to cron jobs - I can't seem to find either a cron job that runs around this time, or anything in my logs

so, now I set up a bunch of things to watch what's going - copies of atop running in Dom0 on both servers, and in the production DomU (note: I caught a couple of more bugs by running top in a window, and seeing what was frozen in the window, after the machine crashed)

ok - so I'm up at 2am for the 4th day in a row (along with a couple of proposals I'm writing during the day, and a couple of fires with my kids' computers - I've discovered that Mozy is perhaps the world's worst backup service - it's impossible to restore things) - anyway.... 2:26 rolls around, the iowait goes to 100%, and I start looking using ps, and iostat, and lsof and such to try to locate whatever process is locking up my DomU, when I notice:

--- on one server, atop is showing one drive (/dev/sdb) maxing out at 98% busy - sort of suggestive of a drive failure, and something that would certainly ripple through all the layers of RAID, LVM, DRBD to slow down everything on top of it (which is everything)

Now this is pretty weird - given the way my system is set up, I'd expect a dying disk that to show up as very high iowaits, but....
- it's a relatively new drive
- I've been running smartd, and smartctl doesn't yield any results suggesting a drive problem
- the problem goes away when I reboot the DomU

One more symptom: I migrated the DomU to my other server, and there's still a correlation between seeing the 98% busy on /dev/sdb, and seeing iowait of 100% on the DomU - even though we're now talking a disk on one machine dragging down a VM on the other machine. (Presumeably it's impacting DRBD replication.)

So....
- on the one hand, the 98% busy on /dev/sdb is rippling up through md, lvm, drbd, dom0 - and causing 100% iowait in the production DomU - which is to be expected in a raided, drbd'd environment - a low level delay ripples all the way up - on the other hand, it's only effecting the one DomU, and it's not effecting the Dom0 on that machine - there seems to be something going on at 2:25am, give or take a few, that kicks everything into the high iowait state (but I can't find a job running at that time - though I guess someone could be hitting me with some spam that's kicking amavisd or clam into a high-resource mode)

All of which leads to two questions:
- if it's a disk going bad, why does this manifest nightly, at roughly the same time, and effect only one DomU? - if it's something in the DomU, by what mechanism is that rippling all they way down to a component of a raid array, hidden below several layers of stuff that's supposed to isolate virtual volumes from hardware?

The only thought that occurs to me is that perhaps there's a bad record or block on that one drive, that only gets exercised when on particular process runs.
- is that a possibility?
- if yes, why isn't drbd or md or something catching it and fixing it (or adding the block to the bad block table)? - any suggestions on diagnostic or drive rebuilding steps to take next? (includings that I can do before staying up until 2am tomorrow!)

If it weren't hitting me, I'd be intrigued by this one. Unfortunately, it IS hitting me, and I'm getting tireder and crankier by the minute, hour, and day. And it's now 4:26am. Sigh...

Thanks very much for any ideas or suggestions.

Get some sleep, for one.

I would install and enable process accounting, turn it on at midnight and let it run until morning (unless you feel like staying up to reboot). That's at a low enough level that I would expect it to have information as to what's running, at least.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we