[Xen-users] Please help me size my server requirements

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Please help me size my server requirements
From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 23:19:58 +0530
Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 10:51:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=pyLfRQKSvM5LArGT/JUt8BPDrCNDnJp/xuw15soWSWo=; b=swtF42ayftustb1E3PdCDg7HCxFH4a/Wt8P7XlomwPGEvS53CfswxGgS0hssL/VPmC u0UmQSNnBvZe4MEHC/wrSLVbmww+qFXQnN54L6wQQTZiexwO/05XIvu/Fpn4r7cUXljM EE/oH0tEVjbvWYxv+VB/nsj5+K8/2wQDVyBA0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am looking to build a Workgroup Server. (Should be
compatible/certified with both XEN & VMware hypervisors, as I am not
sure which one I will settle with...comments requested)

To run baremetal on hypervisor, with each of the following services
running virtualized with minimum OS install (CentOS 5.x, latest stable
release).

- Multi-homed router-cum-border firewall (Access to Network Card
limited to this instance...will act as router for rest of virtual
machines).
- DNS Server (djbDNS).
- Mail Server (Qmail).
- News Server (INN).
- Webserver (Apache).
- RDBMS (postgreSQL...highest load).

In addition to above the server to provide Windows RDP &/or Linux
Desktop Thinclient to 5 users running diskless thin clients or old
desktops (second highest load).

Server to have adequate amount of memory for the above and 500 GB/1 TB
RAID 5 or better using SATA disks.

What Server Specs. I am looking at? I understand DB load is major in
this but assuming moderate to medium db load, what do I need. Will
seperate the server & Thinclient server six months/year down the road.

What budget? Recommendations for a processor/motherboard/ram/disks/sata card?

With best regards and thanks in advance.
Sanjay Arora.