Re: [Xen-users] as promised description of my XEN HA setup

To: Frank S Fejes III <frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] as promised description of my XEN HA setup
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:44:43 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 05:46:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 03 July 2010 14:30:12 Frank S Fejes III wrote:
> This is fascinating because it is almost exactly what I have been
> doing (though the design has waffled between a single highly redundant
> single storage server and two DRBD-redundant storage servers).  We use
> Dell 5448 switches instead of the procurve, crossover 10gbit between
> the two DRBD machines, and also add offsite DRBD replication, but
> otherwise it's the same design. Oh, and I use heartbeat over pacemaker
> because it's so easy. :)

Hi Frank,

thank you. Actually, I should correct myself: it is Heartbeat, but with the
CRM.

> IMO this a very logical approach that is both supportable and
> scalable.  The only real trick in my experience is getting the
> initiator multipath device configuration handled automatically as part
> of the IET lun provisioning process.

Good point. Up till now I do this by hand, following a written procedure, but
it should not be a big deal to code this is bash. Only would make sense with
fast adding guests though.

> Well done!  Hopefully others can share their own designs and experiences.
>
> --frank

thx again, looking forward to other ideas.

B.