[Xen-users] XCP problem installing on usb-storage device

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP problem installing on usb-storage device
From: Denis Cardon <denis.cardon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 19:50:46 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:51:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

with virtualisation going mainstream, one can find motherboard with SD/CF card slot on for ultrathin installation. The HP server I had presented the SD slot as a usb-storage device.

XCP can install fine on this type of device, however on reboot, it just breaks havoc during initrd's init script. Actually when creating the initrd, XCP install script do not include the usb stuff that is required.

Restarting on the install CD, switching to shell prompt and correcting the initrd with "mkinitrd --with-usb --preload usb_storage" did the trick.

Hope usb-storage boot support could be included in the next release. By the way, the init script is really kind of old style. With udev ubiquity I think insmod'ing in initrd's init script should have disapeared by now...

Cheers for the awesome XCP product !

Denis

--
Denis Cardon