[Xen-users] Virtual machine not found by network

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Virtual machine not found by network
From: "Lippert, Kenneth B." <Kenneth.Lippert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:48:06 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 May 2010 06:49:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All,

First post to this mailing list...

I am running Xen 3.0.1 on SuSE 10.1 on an AMD Opteron 64 Linux box.

We have a class 3 (?) network here, by that I mean we have machines in
several different subnets.

The physical machine hosting XEN (dom0) has IP 123.456.8.1   (for
instance)

The domU is assigned 123.456.8.2.

The domU MAC address is hard coded in the XEN config file which defines
the domU.

The gateway is defined in both to be 123.456.8.254.

My virtual machine builds fine, and all seems well, but if the domU is
inactive for a period of several minutes, with no network traffic, it
seems the gateway forgets how to get to it.   This is manifested by
other machines on the local 123.456.8.* network being able to ping and
get to the domU, but machines OUTSIDE the local net cannot.  It is not a
DNS problem , pings from 123.456.22.1 (for instance) fail even if the IP
of the domU is specified (not just its name).

For the time being I have applied duct tape by making a cron job on the
domU that pings an outside machine every 5 minutes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you for your help.
-kenn lippert

Kenn Lippert