Re: [Xen-users] If Dom0 was compramised

Steve Spencer wrote:

 >> Odd, so you can create any ip tables rules and it should not affect
 domUs?

 A more accurate term would be it could be setup to only affect dom0
 > and routed traffic, not bridged traffic.

Hmm, I'll look into that when (if ?) I get another box at work to play with as a host.

We use IP tables for our Dom0 all the time.  The DomU's have their own
iptables, specific to them.  We only allow access to our Dom0's from the
administrative team.  This means the only way a Dom0 could be
compromised is by one of us, which is extremely unlikely.  The DomU's
have various access configured for their specific needs.  We've had zero
problems with this strategy and it continues to work well for us.

That's more or less what I have set up - iptables rules that allow DomU traffic and only the essentials (ie ssh from a whitelist of hosts) for Dom0.

For anyone that knows your setup, compromising a Dom0 would probably be the crown jewels. Get access to that and you can do anything with the guests - even if it means shutting them down briefly while you mount their disks and install extra software or alter their config. In other words, having control of Dom0 is as least as good as having physical access to an equivalent real machine (ie what the DomU would be if not virtualised) and the ability to boot it from a live CD while you fiddle with the contents of the disk.

--
Simon Hobson