Re: [Xen-users] Openvswitch

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Openvswitch
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:32:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:43:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 19/05/10 18:00, Nick Couchman wrote:
On 2010/05/19 at 07:16, "Jonathan Tripathy"<jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Is Openvswitch, which is now in XCP and Xenserver, just a Xen-alternative to
VMWare's fancy virtual switches?

For example, can I create virtual switches and VLANs "inside" the Xen host?

One thing that was nice about VMWare, was that you could create your "own
world" inside the box, regarding network layout.

Yes, openvswitch is very similar to VMware's Cisco Nexus switch provided with the
enterprise-level versions of vSphere.  It allows you to create a full, virtual switch
inside your host, rather than relying on things like dom0 bridge support to accomplish
domU network access.  It has several advantages: remote administration (ability to
remotely configure your switch from a central location), remote monitoring (sFlow/NetFlow
support), port mirroring (useful instead of monitoring all of the traffic on a bridge),
and quite a bit more.  Additionally, openvswitch is an "openflow" switch, which
means you can set up an openflow controller machine (physical or domU) that will actually
do all of the traffic directing for your virtual network.

You can create your "own world" inside a box without openvswitch or Cisco
Nexus.  On Xen, you can create a local bridge that has no connectivity to a physical
ethernet interface, and connect your domUs to that bridge.  This gives you an isolated
network on which you can test stuff.  The same thing can be done with VMware.  You don't
need a virtual switch on either platform to accomplish this.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the email.

I currently use the free version of VMWare ESXi, and I can make my "own world" with it. You say I can do this with XCP, however is it just for testing purposes? Is it insecure for production purposes?

Thanks