[Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVM and hardw

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVM and hardware fencing
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:46:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 02:46:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I've been studying some tutorials and howtos about Xen Live Migration and High
Availability in preparation for my new setup (which should do both).

I like the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and I was thinking about
using iSCSI LUNs on which I would create LVM logical volumes to be used as
block devices for Xen hosts after being activated in evry individual host.
I've tested this for Live Migration and that seems to work flawlessly.

So i figured I could use this as well for HA. Of course in order to prevent
several Xen hosts actively accessing the same block devices, I would use
Heartbeat 2 and hardware fencing to kill a host reporting an unstable state.

However, I see a lot of references to using cLVM or EMVS when sharing storage.
Is this really necessary in my setup? I would like to avoid the added
complexity. Also, I'm using SLES10 and cLVM is not supported on that yet,
while EVMS is going to be phased out on this distro. OCFS2 seems only usefull
when using file based images, which I won't.

Thx!!!

Bart