Re: [Xen-users] what's wrong with my pv domU console? INIT: Id "1" resp

To: lei yang <yanglei.fage@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] what's wrong with my pv domU console? INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:49:50 +0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:51:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM, lei yang <yanglei.fage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> stopped here and print  INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
> minutes

tty1, 2 (and so on) are virtual console on frame buffer/VGA-like display.

> my domU cfg file is :
> disk = ['file:/domU.image,xvda1,w']
> kernel = "/vmlinuz-2.6.31.13"
> vcpus=2
> root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
> extra= "console=hvc0 xencons=tty"
> (change to extra= "console=hvc0 xencons=hvc0" is the same results

You domU config does not include virtual frame buffer (vfb). If it has
that, and your domU kernel supports it (either builtin, or have the
module loaded), you can have tty1 working correctly, accessible using
vnc. domU configuration example:

vfb=['vnc=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0']

while the particular entry on kernel's config should be

CONFIG_XEN_FRAMEBUFFER=y
CONFIG_XEN_KEYBOARD=y

> part of my /etc/inittab is
> # Run gettys in standard runlevels
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty 115200 hvc0
> #1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
> #2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
> #3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
> #4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
> #5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
> #6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Since you don't have entry for /dev/console on inittab, I'm guessing
the extra="console=hvc0 xencons=tty" config line is not used with
regards to displaying login prompt.

--
Fajar