Re: [Xen-users] LVM's inside of Domu's

To: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] LVM's inside of Domu's
From: Edson Marquezani Filho <edsonmarquezani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:04:08 -0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:05:40 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:received:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=T0JdPKExZVMpyqzePPMzq5vw3lI+DnQ3uWJZ3b+21pM=; b=cIPr5rHSkHWhKmc34+cTVnWWgR1YVLj7FW1ivvjpsfwb9/BUMb/azglRU91dc1dXmV 4yZhqSnOhAwqxEBXYAhbbwfPYcYPX3IMbMeejeXJ/usSYSp2dUrJ1yk893a4IdGV3/PD Tl21xL15H8NBhy8tVtSpUNz2vtOFmtddt+1Kk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Possible drawbacks to having LVM in domu:
> cannot mount /dev/foo/lv from dom0 and see filesystem
> possible slowdown?
>
> Looking for any and all feedback on this. Thanks in advance!

My (very short, I advise) experience on that topic was bad enough to
make me give up on using LVM over LVM. Yes, I agree that would the
ideal scenario for storage managment, but after running some basic I/O
tests (with IOZone[1]) I found out that performance went to the ground
drastically. Ok, maybe I'm being a litte dramatic here, but I really
had a significant decrease on I/O write and read rates after adding a
second LVM layer on domU. So, I abandoned this idea and kept LVM only
on dom0 side.

That's my particular point of view, but not take it as a rule. You
should perform your own tests and see what you get.

[1] http://www.iozone.org/