[Xen-users] New to xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] New to xen
From: Douglas Garstang <doug.garstang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 00:14:01 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 00:14:43 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:received:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Q5GrizuvhGQh15/x7hoyofsXA/ABTG/AiiQIZYwOJmQ=; b=i192kJ5XjP5ltFbowghFwFTLl3LK1ZE+jdsMy4NiMfl2ECKRrZasqLd0UUBN0wKbNq O8UOXr3xgkpIkmTs7qxHNAsyeF1ADV+yBgBmtIOMeNVbJWqozLJrI6YcWzeVFdq2xB+4 eRtj6lWLd2nKFZ4JqAFylece6sM4PXt1s+J1Y=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I started experimenting with xen this evening, and I'm rather
frustrated already.

None of the documentation seems to correlate or match up with any
other documentation. We are currently PXE booting and kickstarting
bare metal systems, and that is working fine. In order to maintain the
same deployment procedure to bare metal and virtual machines I would
like to do the same with xen guests. However, it seems like pvm guests
don't support network booting and hvm guests don't support the virtual
console. I've seen documentation that says you have to add console
output to your kernel boot arguments... but what sort of serial
console is that? Is it a real serial console or a virtualised one???

The Xen FAQ (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq) says that you
an add console access by adding a new entry to xinetd... didn't seem
to work though. Am I even looking the right thing here? Is this
talking about the virtual console that connects me to a guest, or
something else?

A lot of people seem to be using vnc to connect to their guests
(again, because hvm guests don't support the serial console). Why? I
mean, if your going to go use a graphic UI to manage the guests, you
might as well just go use vmware. Hell will freeze over before I use a
graphic UI to manage by servers, bare metal or virtual. Heck, OpenVZ
is completely command line driven and it's 'console' command works
just fine.

Grrrrr.

Doug