Re: [Xen-users] XCP storage repository using VHD on top of the LVM (FC

To: Vern Burke <vburke@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP storage repository using VHD on top of the LVM (FC shared too) instead of the NFS.
From: Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:18:52 -0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:20:37 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=IsXufsp3sQBgLZYlxElF6cyDJRwGzSBye7yBA4zeV9A=; b=OcvClIEJfOb7bcfycX/LqXoZhL9wPegRAgsuR+MoIw4k+Duflm4+8PKPhrUea2qdLn /7Bme0dt5NwrZNXjCbudiJzuNOAJebha7sXkwWw+GLJfwnDK8lWmzBmKhelizJ2/jJwh +nKv8Ogrolsht3yniYxqeQaYs2n2f77StoJ1o=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Burke!

On 25 March 2010 17:31, Vern Burke <vburke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Why they just don't mount a big (1T) local logical volume and
> make the necessary files (storage repo and the VHDs) on the locally
> mounted file system, instead of the remote NFS?"

Because for the cloud to work and allow migration of virtual machines between cloud hosts, all hosts have to be able to access the same storage. You can put the storage on a local drive, you'll just restrict that VM to running on that host only.

Kind of wrecks the idea of the cloud.

Well, I'm gonna change the subject a bit... Lets talk about the thin provisioning outside the scope of the NFS Server...

if you have a fiber channel shared storage LUN exported to two or more XCPs, or even some kind of Cluster LVM, you can use the OCFS2 instead of the ext3, to host the VHD files and being able to do the live motion, etc... So, the same "engine" will manage the VHDs hosted at the NFS server, locally mounted logical volumes with ext3 or SDFS and the FC or CLVM with OCFS2 on top of it...

Vern Burke

SwiftWater Telecom
http://www.swiftwatertel.com
ISP/CLEC Engineering Services