Re: [Xen-users] Client device and virtualization

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Client device and virtualization
From: Salvatore De Paolis <iwkse@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:45:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:47:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:35:49 -0600
"Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's not really clear exactly what you're asking.  I assume that you're setup
> is that you have a physical server (ServerA) running a domU (domain A), and
> you're using the NetBook to talk to domain A over the network via a protocol
> like RDP, ICA, etc.  You want to be able to see your local drives, devices,
> etc., from the NetBook on the O/S you're connecting to in domain A?  If yes,
> then this is not a Xen question at all - this is a question of whether the
> protocol you're using to connect supports remote device connectivity.  RDP
> supports some types of devices - serial ports, disks, parallel ports,
> printers, etc.  I don't know much about ICA.  X does not support remote
> device connectivity, and SSH is going to be limited in the type of
> connectivity it supports, as well, or at least is going to take some more
> advanced configuration to get working properly.
>
> Perhaps you can be a little more specific about your configuration, and what
> exactly you're trying to accomplish?

Yeah, i think i didn't explain it well. I thought it wasn't possible to do this
because i don't know of such a possibility with ssh or X.

A clear example would make it even more clear:

I have some netbooks where they have hardware login using pamusb, some with SD
cards and some with USB sticks. I was curious to know if there's a way to let
the host server to probe the guest devices (SD and USB) so that the
authentication can be possible.
AFAIK this is not possible, i was just asking for other opinions to know if
there's still a way for achieving this.

best regards
Sal