Re: [Xen-users] Weird arp problem

To: Manuel SUBREDU <manuel.subredu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Weird arp problem
From: Thomas Halinka <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:12:24 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:13:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Manuel,

Am Montag, den 15.03.2010, 10:15 +0200 schrieb Manuel SUBREDU:
> Hi,
>
>  we have a very strange problem. We have a HP C7000 blade enclosure with
> ProLiant BL460c G6 blades within. Each blade has 8 cores, 32GB of memory
> and 2 network cards, connected trough two ethernet passtrough modules
> into a Cisco Catalyst 3750G series. On the blades, we have OpenSuSE 11.2
> x86_64 with stock xen kernel.
>  The problem: random, when we start or stop a virtual machine, the dom0
> network connection hangs. Dom0 doesn't respond to ping or anything else.
> After some time (about a minute), the network connection works again,
> without us doing something special.
>  We manage to connect trough the blade management module on the machine
> when the network connection does not work and found out that if we
> remove the gateway arp entry from the arp table (using ip neigh del),
> the network connection starts working right away.
>  Did anyone found this problem too ? What can be the cause of this ?

i would guess Port-Security is enabled on these Ports and your running
XEN in Bridged-Mode?

  # show port-security address

Port-Security records the MACs and only accepts packets from the first
device that communicates on this switch port, and shutting down that
switch port if another MAC address attempts to communicate via the
port.

Disable PortSecurity on these Ports...

  # no switchport port-security

hth,