Re: [Xen-users] XEN and clustering?

Steven Wilcoxon wrote:
I would think running LVM in Dom0 instead of DomU gains you performance by using Dom0's CPU & disk cache instead of taking it out of the DomU resources.

First off, the overhead of LVM in i/o and such is likely a small percentage of the i/o of Xen itself, which we all know to be very small. In other words, its overhead is negligible no matter where it's run.

Second, I don't know what you're referring to here with cpu and disk cache, especially with regard to disk cache, as LVM does little or none as far as I know. I run my dom0's with a hard-coded 512MB so I don't have any cache there anyway, but I'm running LVM on top of LVM (phy: mappings of lv's) so cache is irrelevant). Unless you're using tap:aio, if you're going to use cache, it's in the domU.

Third, if there is some resource utilization going on specific to a domU, I'd rather have that happen in the domU where it has minimal impact on other domU's rather than in dom0 where it affects them all. There are exceptions: you don't want things that have to cross the hypervisor twice to exist in domU like RAID and multipathing.

John

--
John Madden
Sr UNIX Systems Engineer