RE: [Xen-users] Hotswap

To: "'Tegger'" <xen@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Fajar A. Nugraha'" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Hotswap
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:03:44 -0500
Cc: 'Xen Users' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:04:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        The English word for the hard drive scenario you describe is most
likely "mobile rack" though this may also be a marketing term specific to
some brands.  Another more generic option might be "internal enclosure"
though I am not 100% certain that is accurate.  Regarding both terms, I am
assuming you are talking about a half-height (one slot) 5.25 inch drive bay
device that can have 1 3.5 inch hard disk installed in it (or perhaps 4 2.5
inch drives).  If you are referring to a three 5.25 inch slot device that
takes 4-5 drives, then I cannot sure on the terminology.
        All of that having been said, regarding a backup method, the best
method would be to backup from within Windows.  A third party software might
make this easier, but ntbackup (assuming you are running a version of
Windows that has this) can make an effective complete backup (be sure you
are familiar with how to restore from it in the event of a domU destroying
disaster).  This is only true if you need the domU to be running during the
backup, if you are willing to shut down the DomU to make the backup, I
believe you can find a blocksync script somewhere on the internet that might
very quickly image the entire Windows partition (after the first backup,
which would effectively be the same as using dd to copy the entire
partition).  If you can do something like this, you wouldn't need to attach
and detach the drive to the domU as explained by Fajar.
        Dustin