RE: [Xen-users] paravirtualised machine based ubuntu

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, Fernando Castillo Ortiz <fcastillo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] paravirtualised machine based ubuntu
From: James Dingwall <james.dingwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:41:30 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:47:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Fernando Castillo Ortiz
> <fcastillo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I need to install Ebox in a paravirtualised machine, the installation
> is
> > based debian installer. A cd that you booting and show a debian
> installer.
> > How I boot this CD? How I create the paravirtualised machine ?
>
> You can't. PV guest can't boot from cdrom.
> You might want to try installing it as HVM guest first, then convert
> it to PV later.

I have done a PV boot of the Ubuntu 9.10 .iso but I haven't tried to install it
from that...  You need to have pygrub and pv framebuffer support.

Key lines from the config file are:

disk = [ 'file:/export/iso/ubuntu/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r' ]
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
bootargs = "--kernel=/casper/vmlinuz --ramdisk=/casper/initrd.lz
--args=\"file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu
.seed boot=casper quiet splash --\""

Regards,
James