Re: [Xen-users] using infiniband with xen

To: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] using infiniband with xen
From: Jonathan Ferland <jonathan.ferland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:12:06 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:13:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I also manage to run ofed stuff on my dom0. My infiniband is mellanox connectx, so maybe the latest driver will support what I want.

The issue I have right now concern the compilation of the latest ofed driver. If I boot a clean node with no ofed installed, and try to build OFED-1.4-mlnx8,
it failed under xen...

It search for iscsi, and found the one in used by xen, then fail to uninstall it, and stop the build. How did you manage to install ofed driver properly? I was able to work around by keeping the openib driver from the kernel and install the tools from ofed to make infiniband work, but I would prefer to have the real thing..

Thanks,

Jonathan

Steven Timm wrote:
I have gotten as far as booting the dom0 kernel
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen that comes with redhat/centos
and verifying that in dom0 I can see and talk to the infiniband
card. next step is to try to do pci-passthrough to a domU.

As far as passthrough to multiple domU it is supposed to depend
on what hardware version of the infiniband card you have. I
am going out for bid for the latest version from mellanox, (connectx) which is supposed to support multiple virtual channels under virtualization,
right now vmware and soon also xen.  We are still early in the process.
I think the kind we have in our test machine, infiniscale, will work
with at most one domU at a time but I haven't even got that far yet.

Steve Timm