RE: [Xen-users] Dom U bandwidth monitoring - pmacct, bandwidthd?

On Fri, February 12, 2010 5:27 pm, Robbie A. Garrett wrote:
> How would the switch know that traffic is for DomU or internet?
>
> this would have to be on a presence router / switch and track by ip
> address which I think is a bad idea.

Thanks, Robbie.

I'm interested to know why you think that's a bad idea? - one of the
solutions I was considering is to setup a SPAN port against the uplink on
each switch and use bandwidthd on that.  I have very little network
experience at this level, so I'm likely missing something (and that's the
main reason I decided to ask here as it is very likely others have been
here and learned the lessons).

> What I would suggest is that you allow there vm's to be able to use there
> own private network to move the data from one vm to another.  A lot of
> houses do it like this so they can let the customers who setup there vm's
> in a cluster have there cluster traffic bandwidth free.

Thanks.  Definitely an option being considered!

Cheers,

Matt.