Re: [Xen-users] slow network with gplpv drivers in vlan setup

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] slow network with gplpv drivers in vlan setup
From: Matthieu Patou <mat+Informatique.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:38:24 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 05:39:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 09/02/2010 11:19, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Matthieu Patou
<mat+Informatique.xen@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I faced quite a long time ago a problem on some of my servers:
This might not be directly related, but I used 0.11.0.188 yesterday
for an XP domU, RHEL's xen (3.1.2). While copying files, the
performance was dreadfully slow. MUCH slower than QEMU. A bit
puzzling, since on another system I have a similar setup, but with
Gitco's Xen 3.4.1.

Uninstalled that GPLPV version, and install 0.10.0.142. What do you
know, they worked great :D Haven't got time to find out what exactly
is wrong though. So if you still have problems, you might want to try
that too.

The thing is that I remember having this problem since 0.9.xx so it's a
constant problem.
You didn't mention what hardware/Xen version you use.
As James mentioned, the problem might be related to network cards.
Turning off Large Send might solve your problem (at the cost of extra
settings effort, and possible higher CPU usage).
Right, I am on a debian lenny which is shipped with xen 3.2.1 (a bit old ... right).
Hardware is Intel Gigabit 80003ES2LAN.

But I also have this behavior on a test workstation with the same OS but the following nic: BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet

However, from my experince with RHEL and tg3, sometimes driver and
firmware version matters as well. So if you have time, I suggest:
- check server manufacturer's website to see if they have a newer firmware
- update your OS, or change to known-good OS. On some systems I use
RHEL5 with Gitco's updated Xen RPM, which works great with vlans and
even bonding.
I didn't find any update for the moment.
I'm not very familiar with this gitco stuff, what is it exactly ?

Matthieu.