Re: [Xen-users] Bridging in xen 3.4.2/SLES11

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Bridging in xen 3.4.2/SLES11
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:32:49 +0700
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:33:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a question on bridging. I have several xen 3.4.2 servers on
> SLES11. The networking has changed from what I was running on xen 3.2.x
> on SLES10SP2. On 3.4.2 it now has a bridge, in my case br0, and then you
> assign the NICs to the bridge.
>
> If you have two NICs in a server, is it safe to assign both NICs to the
> bridge and attach both NICs to the same network?

Of course not. Not without proper setup.
Depending on your setup, it can either took down the entire network,
or got some switch port disabled.

> I did this today, thinking I had done it on my other servers, and it
> took down our whole network pretty hard. What is the proper way to
> handle dual NICs with bridges?

If they're on the same vlan/physical network, you'd need to setup
bonding. And then you probably need to setup your own bridge, as I
doubt the default xen networking script would be able to handle that.

--
Fajar