Re: [Xen-users] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

To: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts
From: francisco javier funes nieto <esencia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:47:23 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:48:03 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=YITmw03PDVaGA+eVevhR1QMLufZAyG++qbabMaqtDCc=; b=fHM9IrcKBFOZAWo4y/cuinHAdJoBVQ8OGEcfWiXThIDrjA+loTrhLU6SrtxeO++/PJ TeoM3cpM5vttJhoijBiQGU51vg0nUI0pvuzaDGifb9KJ+rdPJ+EO456QI0n+FRsIqKDC 2LriRrvNsGxfCEeqm1LtRd76LodgjDiNK1jqE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe SSHFS?  http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

I didn't used it, but it's here! ;-)

J.

2010/1/28 Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to get some input from people who have used these options for
> mounting a remote server to a local server. Basically, I need to replicate /
> backup data from one server to another, but over the internet (i.e. insecure
> channels)
>
> Currently we have been mounting an SMB share over SSH, but it's got it's own
> set of problems. And I don't know if this is optimal, or if I could setup
> something better. We don't have much control over the remote server, so I
> couldn't setup a VPN, or iSCSI or anything else. My options was FTP & SMB.
>
> But I want to move the backups in-house, to save bandwidth and have more
> control over what we do.
>
> So, with a new CentOS server & 2x1TB HDD's in RAID1 configuration, I can do
> pretty much whatever I want. The backup server(s) will serve backups for
> multiple servers, in different data centers (possible in different counties
> as well, I still need to think about this), so my biggest concern is
> security.
>
> We mainly use cPanel & DotNetPanel (Windows ServerS) , but also WebMin &
> VirtualMin, so I need to stick with their native backup procedures and don't
> really want to use a too technical backup system.
>
> The end users need access to the data 24/7, so having the remote share
> permanently mounted seems to be the best for this, then our support staff
> don't need to SSH into the servers and download the backups. With the mount,
> I can also use rsync backups, so an end user could restore only a single
> file if need be.
>

> NOW, the question is: Which protocol would be best for this? I can only
> think of SMB, NFS & iSCSI
> The SMB mounts have worked well so far, but it's not as safe, and once the
> SMB share is mounted, I can't unmount it until the server reboots. This
> isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometime the backup script will mount the
> share again (I think this is a bug in cPanel) and we end up with 4 or 5 open
> connection to the remote server.
>
> NFS - last time I looked at it was on V3, which was IMO rather slow &
> insecure.
>
> iSCSI - this doesn't allow for more than one connect to the same share.
> Sometimes I user might want to download a backup directly from the backup
> server via FTP / SSH / a web interface, which I don't think will work. We
> also sometimes need to restore a backup on a different server (if for
> example the HDD on the initial server is too full), so this isn't possible.
>
> The remote shares also need to be mounted inside XEN domU's, or directly on
> CentOS / Windows servers.
>

> what would be my best option for this?
>

> --
> Kind Regards

> [...]