Re: [Xen-users] Looking for Xen-compatible hardware

To: Yasir Assam <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Looking for Xen-compatible hardware
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:25:38 +0200
Cc: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:26:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 06:45:51PM +1100, Yasir Assam wrote:
> My Xen server died last night (direct lightening hit) and I need to
> replace it.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a core i3 CPU on an H55 motherboard (with
> integrated graphics) - not sure which motherboard yet.
>
> I've been running Xen 3.4.2 (built from source) with the default 2.6.18
> kernel for dom0 and some domUs. Given how new this hardware is, will I
> be able to run 2.6.18 on it? I need video support too (X11).
>
> If 2.6.18 isn't up to it, is the xen.git version able to run on this
> hardware? My dom0 OS is Debian, and I'd like to stick with this distro.
> I'm happy to keep building from source. I don't mind running
> xen.git/xen-unstable if I have to, so long as it's mostly stable.

See this wiki page for dom0 kernel options:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

xen.org linux-2.6.18-xen has some driver backports to make it compatible with
newer hardware, but you really have to try to see if it works or not.

pv_ops dom0 (currently 2.6.31.6) is the new default dom0 kernel in
upcoming Xen 4.0 (currently at 4.0.0-rc2), so you might want to try that too.

-- Pasi