Re: [Xen-users] debian lenny 3.2.1 doesn't boot, livexen boots just fine

To: Gabor Szilagyi <szilagyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] debian lenny 3.2.1 doesn't boot, livexen boots just fine
From: Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:09:58 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:10:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:41:02AM -0500, Gabor Szilagyi wrote:
> I am having the same problem ... ever since I installed grub2 I can not
> get xen to boot. I was told it is possible but yet to see someone
> writing it down how. Tried the "new" syntax, put dummy=dummy as first
> cmd line argument, even compiled the root=/... in the kernel nothing works.
>
> I just get Panic on CPU 0 ... and stuck dump.

This happend to me with xen 3.4

> There is absolutely something with grub2 and xen combination (not hardware).

that is weird. are you sure you installed grub-legacy correctly? removed grub2
packages and used grub-install to update mbr and update-grub to update
menu.lst?

> Someone on this list suggested to try to capture all the boot up until
> crash, with serial console, which I am planning to do as soon as I get a
> serial cable (usb2serial)...

I have complete output from bios to kernel to getty on serial console, but I
get stuck without any messages from xen. All I get is the grub message booting
xen image .... and that's it.

I strongly feel that it is problem with grub2 which bothers me, because grub
legacy can't boot from lvm and I'm using lvm everywhere therefor I'd like to
use grub2. So far, I'm not having any problems anywhere except with this
single server. I planned to build a few virtual servers, but since the problem
seem to be with machines that have more than 4GB ram, I'll look into kvm, if
it solves my problems.

But I'd love to solve this. There are bound to be people running the same
setup and if it works for them than there is a way to do it:)

mk