Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.4.2 /proc/xen/balloon doesn't exist and grub2 tro

To: Gabor Szilagyi <szilagyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.4.2 /proc/xen/balloon doesn't exist and grub2 trouble
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:53:34 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:54:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:49:43AM -0500, Gabor Szilagyi wrote:

> >> So I am trying to make it myself.
> >>
> >> I have installed xen 3.4.2 from source, did make world and installed.
> >>
> >> Got the kernel source from from the git repository with the xen patches
> >> following the xen wiki.... compiled dom0 kernel just fine.
> >>

> > So you're using pv_ops dom0 kernel?
>
> Yes I am pretty sure.. I can boot it on the bare hardware not problem

Ok.

> >> I can boot xen, with grup (old something went odd with grub2 for me) and
> >> then it boots my dom0 kernel fine.
> >>

> > For GRUB2 see:
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems
>
> Well, I have looked at this and went a head re-install Debian Squeeze
> with grub2 ...
>
> Now, I can not even boot xen-3.4.2.gz which I built again from source....

Uhm.. what error do you get?

Can you set up a serial console to log the full boot process?

See:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

> I tried the debian package (squeeze has 3.4.2 as well) I can not boot
> even the hypervisor (and can not downgrade grub2 to the old grub)...
>
> I can see that booting xen with the new grub gives a lot of people grief.

Yeah, grub2 has been pretty problematic..

> I tried all the suggestions like dummy=dummy, double the file name on
> booth multiboot and module lines I also compiled the command line into
> the dom0 kernel (the 2.6.31.6 from the Jeremy tree). I know that command
> line is OK since I can boot it again on the bare hardware no problem....
>
> I am not sure what  I am doing wrong

We need more information about what exactly fails.. if you cannot set up
a serial console, you could always record a video of the boot process..

> >> Here I got stuck trying to create a hvm instance for installation of OS.
> >>
> >> root@rasnew:/etc/xen# xm create -c /etc/xen/test1.cfg
> >> Using config file "/etc/xen/test1.cfg".
> >> Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/xen/balloon'
> >>

> > Did you mount /proc/xen ? You need to have xenfs mounted.
>
> No, /proc/xen was there (see my earlier post) except the
> /proc/xen/ballon file was not there (five others were there)

Ok.

> > See:
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> I can probably recite this already nothing there solved my problem. I
> really like to know if anyone can actually boot the hypervisor built
> from source with kernel on Debian Squeeze with grub2 .... the kernel
> included in the source 2.6.18 doesn't support my ethernet card and
> pretty old even udev is too old for some stuff (OK I can run everything
> in domU if I ever can create one :-))
>
> I am not new to linux (started 1997) this maybe the first project I will
> have to give up on ... virtbox and vmware just worked but I would prefer

There are many people who have been using Xen with GRUB2.. so it's possible.

-- Pasi