[Xen-users] XCP 0.1.1

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP 0.1.1
From: Vern Burke <vburke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:18:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:18:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I knew it couldn't possibly go right.

First attempt at upgrading a 0.1.0 host trashed the networking config majorly. In defense of 0.1.1, I did have an odd networking config (since XCP had problems with the built in Broadcom ports, I pif-forgetted them and let Linux handle them. If it weren't for the mutant network config, I bet 0.1.1 would have done ok.

More seriously, 0.1.1 will not rejoin the pool because all the versions aren't up to the same level (I seem to recall that this should work). Attempting the join with a --force wiped out the NICs under XCP and xe won't work without the management NIC being present (XCP knows the management address but not the physical port). This looks like a reload to fix.

At this point, it looks like the plan is going to be:

1. shut down all VMs

2. back up the pool database

3. flatten and reload the hosts to 0.1.1

4. restore the pool database and hope to heck everything joins again

Am I having fun yet? :)

Vern

--
Vern Burke