Re: [Xen-users] pv_ops domU crashes on pv_ops dom0 (directly at boot)

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pv_ops domU crashes on pv_ops dom0 (directly at boot)
From: Markus Schuster <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:25:45 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:26:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 19 January 2010 23:15:42 Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 01/19/2010 09:43 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >> GNU gdb 6.8-debian
> >> Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or
> >> later<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are
> >> free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> >> permitted by law.  Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
> >> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu"...
> >> (gdb) x/i 0xffffffff8100930a
> >> 0xffffffff8100930a<hypercall_page+778>:    add    %al,(%rax)
> >> (gdb) list *0xffffffff8100930a
> >> No source file for address 0xffffffff8100930a.
> >
> > Try running gdb in the kernel source directory to get the lines from the
> > source file!
>
> [..]

Jeremy - nice to hear from you!

> But this is completely different from Markus's original bug report.

Sorry for my naive thinking, but hasn't the current memory address (and trace
information in general) been gathered using a completely different way
(xenctx). I didn't know about this tool and just posted all messages the
crashing kernel dumped to the console.
btw: The kernel still crashes with rather the same message / trace information
as before. But it seems xenctx is able to gather more (accurate) information?

> How
> many vcpus are there?  It may be getting the wrong cpu context (booting
> with a single vcpu would be simplest).

The domU had 2 VCUs.
Now the very very interesting part: I've reduced the VCPUs to 1 and now the
amd64/64bit kernel boots fine! Looks like some SMP problem?

Regards,
Markus