Re: [Xen-users] Is it safe to run only the XEN kernel on dom0 host?

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you Fajar.
>
> If a server runs XEN, and uses the XEN kernel, then what use is the
> normal kernel, kernel-devel & kernel-headers?

Kernel-headers is necessary if you'll be doing any
development/compiling on the server.
normal kernel is necessary for fallback purposes. For example, in the
past I had problems with networking breaks completely when using
kernel-xen. Turns out it was NIC firwmare and bridge issue. I'd like
to be able to fix my box (downloading firmware/drivers, etc.) when
something like this happens, so usually I keep normal kernel
installed.
kernel-devel is necessary if you run (or intend to run) normal kernel,
and you use need to compile addditional drivers (like with dkms or
nvidia driver). In the past I build my own dkms drivers for tg3 and
qla2xxx, since RH's drivers were too old or didn't have the feature I
need.

If you don't need any of those you should be able to safely remove them.

--
Fajar