RE: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?

To: "Anthony Wright" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] How do I get Windows licenses for virtual machines?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:38:36 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:39:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'm having real problems trying to negotiate through Microsoft to be
> able to find a license that I can buy for a Windows XP Pro or Windows
7
> Pro DomU, that allows the following things:
>
> 1) There is no Windows OEM license for the hardware as Linux is the
Dom0
> O/S and we only install a Windows DomU on a small proportion of boxes

My (non-lawyer) opinion is that from a licensing point of view, Xen+Dom0
is nothing more than an abstraction layer between Windows and the
hardware. If you buy OEM software with the machine then you are within
your rights to run it on the machine, whether under the BIOS or under
Xen.

But you can't really get XP anymore except if you are a vendor the size
of HP, Dell, IBM, etc, and Windows 7 OEM may well include a specific
clause about virtualisation...

James