[Xen-users] VMWare as Xen VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] VMWare as Xen VM
From: Satish Chowdhury <satish.chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:37:20 +0530
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:08:19 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am trying to install Vmware (Exsi 4.0) as a VM on Xen (VM-on-VM).

My platform is Intel S5500HC motherboard and Xeon E5502 processor, 4G Ram.
Xen 3.4.1, dom0 is linux 2.6.31.6 pv_ops kernel on FC12.

The Vmware installation was failing with "Failed to load lvmdriver" error. On modifing the network model to e1000 (vif = ['type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0, model=e1000' ])  in Exsi hvm config file above error is gone.

But again, Exsi complains on non compatible hardware, I don't have any clue what is failing here.

Is it possible to install Esxi as VM on Xen ? If yes, please let me know what I am missing.

If no, is there any possibility to make Qemu emulate, Vmware compatible Hardware?

Regards,
-Satish