[Xen-users] Primary server and MediaPC as virtuals, with separate resour

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Primary server and MediaPC as virtuals, with separate resources?
From: Jørn Odberg <jorn.odberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:42:45 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:43:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello.

I'm pretty new to this virtualization stuff. But I have a hope to get this planned setup realized in the future, and have a couple(?) of questions to you guys...

What I'm hoping to do, is run Xen as the base on my new server:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2,66 GHz
- 16 GB ram
- with USB 3.0
- 4 x 1GB Network cards
- 4 TB storage (raid-5)

Hopefully running Xen on the bottom, with Ubuntu Linux as a server (web, dhcp, router, firewall, ftp, nfs, samba etc) with exclusive access to the 4TB storage, 2 x GB nics, and something like 8 GB ram. (Is it possible to resize the amount of memory available to a virtual instance later?).

And hopefully be able to run Windows 7 as a virtual PC as a MediaPC, with 4 GB ram, only "internal" network access against the Ubuntu server, and hopefully be able to attach a USB graphics card, USB sound card and a USB Blu-Ray reader to this virtual instance. (Is this possible?).

Ok, to sum up my questions:
- Is it possible to add/dedicate certain USB attached devices, like graphics card, remote control, sound card and usb-bluray-reader to a virtual Win7-instance in Xen?
- Is it possible to resize/change the amount of RAM given to any virtual instances?
- Does anyone know if this MediaPC would perform good under a setup like this? Should I be able to play bluray out on a USB graphics card, from a USB bluray-player, attached to a virtual Windows 7?

Kind regards from a newbie on Xen, from Norway,
Jørn