[Xen-users] Direct somU access to GPGPU do-able?

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Direct somU access to GPGPU do-able?
From: Carsten Aulbert <carsten.aulbert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:42:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 02:43:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Ive searched the archives and FAQ but found nothing but an email from last
week on this list which seem to remotely touch this subject.

I've asked the same to the KVM folks, so if you virtualize yourself with
different approaches, you might recognize the rest:

We are running a largish cluster and are currently buying GPGPU systems (Tesla
and soon Fermi based). We will have at least 2 possibly 4 of these cards per
box and have the problem that some codes need different CUDA kernel drivers to
run. As these boxes have 4 CPU cores, 12 GB of memory and CPU-VT support we
thought that this might be solvable by creating (para-) virtualized guests on
the boxes and passing one GPGPU device into a guest at a time. In there we
then can run any kernel/driver combo necessary. All OS stuff will be Linux
(Debian Lenny currently).

But since my current virtualization experience only stretches to OpenVZ and
VirtualBox (tinkering with Xen a couple of years back), I don't know if Xen
can help here. We need something which we can automatically set-up
via CLI, i.e. starting and stopping the guests need to be fully automatic, we
don't need a graphical environment within the guests, just plain text is good
enough.

What do you think, is looking into Xen the right choice for this? Can we pass
a device directly into a guest and fully use it there?

Thanks a lot in advance

Carsten