Re: [Xen-users] Nvidia drivers in Dom0 results in blank screen

To: Brandon Turner <bturner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Nvidia drivers in Dom0 results in blank screen
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:58:33 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:59:24 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=gdZ0HkI2WlOOIFX6d5+bNj3ipXGOwp8z1D780Fha12E=; b=mvPkWj2uIrVcaEI8BuU5MVLSWdu9SyPbjlUfy4W/60Tuw+2I5VyZ7LbUpa6bMrZuHd BqzRd3Y6T1aBRJ4qLnL25oULFTodwvc/aAkZiLqCMkft1rEBGY7MrBm64bqNOQ6cESBO 4A3KY/2ru/5NPyRF7MvXZxlebidmowR+s30mY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Brandon Turner <bturner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first post to the list.  I am fairly new to Xen.  Recently I
> decided to try and get Xen running on my desktop to try out some new
> Linux distributions and play around with the Xen HVM stuff.  I am trying
> to get the Nvidia binary drivers working on my Ubuntu Dom0.  I have seen
> several pointers on the internet, and in this list's archives,
> describing some success in getting the Nvidia drivers to work properly.
>
> Currently, when booting Dom0 the nvidia driver is loaded (no EE messages
> appear in xorg.0.log) but my screen is blank.  Actually my screen is in
> power-save mode.  I am unable to switch to the text console via
> Ctl+Alt+F1.  Killing the X server does not bring my screen back.  I can
> still log in via SSH, but the only way to get the screen out of
> power-save is to reboot the box.  If I use the nv driver, I am able to
> use X and switch consoles.  If I boot the exact same kernel without Xen,
> I am able to use the Nvidia drivers and switch consoles with no problems.
>
> I am currently running:
> xen-3.4.2
> Ubuntu 9.10 (with Grub2) x86_64
> A custom built 2.6.31.6 kernel
> Latest Nvidia drivers (I have tried 190.42 and 195.22 beta)
> GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card
>
> I used the kernel sources at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git to build my
> kernel and installed xen from source using make install-xen, make
> install-tools, make install-stubdom.
>
> I installed the Nvidia drivers using:
> IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y CC="gcc -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT
> -DNV_SIGNAL_STRUCT_RLIM" ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-###.##-pkg2.run
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions I might try?  I have compared the Xorg
> logs between booting the kernel without Xen and booting the kernel with
> Xen and they look almost the same (dates changed, but everything else
> identical).  I am not passing a vga parameter to the kernel.  I can't
> understand why once X is started with the Nvidia drivers I lose my
> monitors, even if I kill X or try to switch to a text console.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
> Brandon

Nvidia binary drivers do not work with pv_ops dom0 kernel, it is
possible to get them working with a "classic" dom0 kernel (i.e forward
ported 2.6.18 patches) but it requires some kludges and only works on
certain kernel versions.

Andy