[Xen-users] Bridge configuration on Xen 3.2+

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Bridge configuration on Xen 3.2+
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:10:55 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:11:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:33 PM, tournesol33 <tournesol33@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I'm using xen 3.0 on CentOS 5 with VLAN.
>
> #vconfig add eth0 100
> #/etc/xen/script/network-
> bridge start vifnum=1 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0.100
>
> I know that after xen 3.2 the procedure of bridge configuration is changed.
> What is the correct command to set bridge interface to vlan?

"correct" is relative :D

The default xen networking bridge is designed to make it easier for
people who want to use bridged networking setup with as little change
to their existing environment as possible. It involves some fancy
techniques like interface renaming and changing of routes.

However, since people who use vlan on server usually have advanced
networking knowledge anyway, I'd recommend you setup bridges and vlans
using your OS networking scripts, and comment out network-script from
xend-config.sxp.

Here's what I use

# cat ifcfg-eth4
DEVICE=eth4
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:23:7D:5E:1A:C0
ONBOOT=yes

# cat ifcfg-eth4.77
DEVICE=eth4.77
VLAN=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br77

# cat ifcfg-br77
DEVICE=br77
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes

These create a bridge called br77 on top of vlan 77 on top of eth4.
Since this interface is dedicated for domU traffic, I don't put an IP
address on br77. dom0 traffic goes through a different interface.

--
Fajar