Re: [Xen-users] RHEL VMs in HyperV to Xen

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Edward Smith <bm.unpersonal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for the suggestions.
> To resolve part of my problem I copy the entire vhd file from the MS HyperV
> to the Dom0 machine. Then I create a LV and copied the file to the LV with
> the dd command. I can mount this.

err ... that shouldn't work. vhd format is different from raw image
that you can dd directly. How were you able to mount it?

> My problem now is boot the machine.
> I changed all the entries "/dev/hdaX" to "/dev/xvdaX" on the fstab file.
> Also I changed the "root=XXX" entries on the grub, "menu.lst", and in the
> config file of the VM.
>
> But I get always the same error message:
> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no
> shstrtab\n')

You should first try to run it as HVM guest. That'd (at least) make
sure the data convertion was successfull. After that you can  convert
it to PV using something like this: http://pastebin.com/f6a5022bf

> I suspect this is because the kernel type.
> To run RHEL guest on xen I need other kernel (a special one with xen
> paravirtualization)?

For PV guests, yes. The rpm is called kernel-xen.

--
Fajar