Re: [Xen-users] Rapid Windows Provisioning

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Rapid Windows Provisioning
From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:20:16 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:21:24 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=nanxl+AA27YI9nt9AXB2fzYujV+4Ph7+QJISC7FDcS4=; b=VI/6f1P/eUa0lqRKhK8DLQCdHHvqKwkcph4suSkwGjgzFSFek9zf6zXpQ9/MK/VAtg Hh/JBjJ71TBJuNKWcdN1SymbD4wNrMb9GBi1BAGslElTJu6QnHnl/PHc/vLpe0wT5axs fO6a0cXYbDGD7jgGQKnspqG3FkEh1aocDjFEY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:11, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know this is slightly off-topic for this list, but it seems like a good
> place to ask it...
>
> I'm trying to find a way to rapidly provision Windows-based domUs.  I'm very
> familiar with tools like sysprep, and also have tools available to create
> "gold images" of the Windows installs and make those available quickly.  The
> primary challenge I'm running into is the machine name and domain membership.
>  I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the machine name and join
> a Windows domain while the computer is booting.  Although Microsoft has made
> great strides in not asking you to reboot after every single operation,
> computer name and domain membership is one of those tasks that still,
> curiously, requires a reboot.  I'm guessing some of the services need to be
> restarted after a change of either of these - if I knew which ones, perhaps a
> boot-time script could be run that would set the machine name, join the
> Windows domain, and then restart the services that need to be restarted in
> order for the changes to take effect?  Anyway, if anyone can help out with
> this, I'd appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

A boot-time script is certainly possible. Check out netdom.exe - it
can change the name and join the machine to the domain. I created a
script for this kind of work for our junior admins, so they could have
it on their USB sticks.

However, you risk leaving the account password hanging around, if
you're not careful - it has to be embedded in the script.

Kurt