Re: [Xen-users] Debian Etch dom0 | Xen upgrade to 3.4.2 from source

To: lists@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian Etch dom0 | Xen upgrade to 3.4.2 from source
From: Christian Gonzalez <zulsolar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:23:43 -0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:24:31 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=k6n0ewMlvG9dXoRgqR5dZQuLShSmUCkoRunFw/zW5qE=; b=rQcnmlQT/MZygtdTn3mR636LrgB2aPTITTJT9mwNyVcWiy915i0Wd3lVxEaveDAo0V 9l6/PUUnubsNuSYg+GyjE6KgJU7fl0vvOeotFGM6QaRdG5tGlPDmK+E0qRHUO5kduRzJ s7LIUfB0XbnOtlwfdoDv5UdbX0ua8kRtMeIWE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Thomas,

I'm still going on with Etch as I have read that there were some issues when upgrading from Etch to Lenny. Maybe those issues are very rare/solved now but I'm afraid that if I got problems while upgrading I will not have enough time to fix it and the downtime will be long. It's not a mission critical server, in fact, it just a home webserver/mailserver but it took me a long time to build it as my free time is very spare and short.

Unfortunately I'm not really very fun of Debian, although I have been using it as dom0 for almost a year without any issues so I can not complain about it. But I'm more comfortable running Slackware, it's my favorite distro. So, I decided that instead of upgrading from v3.0.3 to v3.4.x ( I read that could be very tricky to run both versions on the same machine as I wanted at first) I'll try to build a new dom0 with Slackware64. Happily I'm very close to get it.

Thanks and regards.

Chris

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Thomas Halinka <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chris,

Am Dienstag, den 24.11.2009, 20:48 -0300 schrieb Christian Gonzalez:
> Hi list,
>

> I'm running a Debian Etch dom0, using Xen 3.0.3. I have several domu's
> running on top of it, too. I would like to know if it is possible to
> upgrade to v3.4.2 using 2.6.18 kernel without breaking too much.

why not? :-)

> I mean, I would like to upgrade but if something fails, switch it back
> to 3.0.3 again.
>

> I found several guides but almost all of them seems to upgrade Etch to
> Lenny and then Xen to v3.4. I would like to keep Etch and just upgrade
> Xen.
>

> I have downloaded linux-2.6.18-xen-3.4.2.tar.gz and xen-3.4.2.tar.gz
> from Xen site but I'm no quite sure about the steps involved to do
> what I want.

I would suggest to build your own XEN-Debian-Packages and try them....

Im Running Lenny with 3.4 without any Probs - give it a try....

But why do you stay with etch?

> Any help will be very appreciated.
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Chris