Re: [Xen-users] (re)load new kernel with rebooting host node?

To: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] (re)load new kernel with rebooting host node?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 04:04:46 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:05:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to reload the dom0 / host node's kernel with a newer
> one, without rebooting the server?

Not that I know of

> I know kexec can do something like
> this for security patches, but I don't know much about kexec, and I
> don't want to mess up a production server either.

AFAIK current implementation of kexec works like a reboot, only
without going through BIOS and bootloader. At least that's how it was
implemented in Ubuntu

> So, has anyone done
> something like this before? I need to load a new kernel for one of the
> domU's iptables to work, but don't want to reboot the whole server and
> cause downtime for the other domU's.

You shouldn't need to that. What changes did you made on dom0? My
setup works fine with iptables on domU in a mostly-default setup.

--
Fajar