Re: [Xen-users] No vmx flag, and no vnc

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:18:36AM +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:25:38AM +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm stuck in my attempts to get xen up and running.
> >>
> >> I selected Debian Lenny as base as I'm a bit more familiar with
> >> Debian/Ubuntu than with the other Linux distros. Uname -r =
> >> 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64. Xen version should be 3.2-1. Guest is Windows Server
> >> 2008 R2.
> >
> > First of all you might have hard time getting 2008R2 working on Xen 3.2.
> > 2008R2 didn't exist when 3.2 was released.
> >
> > Xen has has a lot of fixes and improvements after version 3.2.
>
> Thanks for your answer, Pasi. Meanwhile we have also discovered that if we
> try Ubuntu 9.10 (with kernel 2.6.31) the vmx flag is indeed present.
> However, Ubuntu has no xen kernel. :-( I could try to build it myself, but
> it seems a bit hairy according to
> http://old.nabble.com/2.6.30-dom0-Xen-patches-td24293721i20.html
>
> I have read http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels/ which is a
> good source of information but I have a hard time picking distro. To start
> with, what minimum versions (of Xen hypervisor, and Linux kernel) would
> you recommend if you want to run 2008R2?

I'd recommend going with Xen 3.4.2, since that's the latest stable
release.

The official dom0 kernel for Xen 3.4.2 is linux-2.6.18-xen, so that's
the safe choise aswell, assuming it has all the drivers for your hardware.

http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg seems to have some additional
driver backports committed after 3.4.2 snapshot, so you might want to
fetch the dom0 kernel directly from hg.

-- Pasi