Re: [Xen-users] SLES10SP2 (xen 3.2.x) vs SLES11 (xen 3.4.x)

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SLES10SP2 (xen 3.2.x) vs SLES11 (xen 3.4.x)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:08:23 +0200
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:09:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:35:34AM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> I built a couple new servers on SLES11 because I needed to use USB.
> Since SLES11 has xen 3.4 packages that seemed like the way to go. I'm
> questioning the stability of the two new servers compared to my
> SLES10SP2 servers. I'm also questioning the performance of Windows
> domUs.
>
> On Thanksgiving day one of my SLES11 servers running 7-8 domUs crashed
> and restarted three times. Being Thanksgiving day I did not spend a lot
> of time on it and the quickest fix at the time was moving the domUs to
> another server, which I did.

You should setup (and have) a serial console logging what's happening..
then you could just check the serial console log for
errors/tracebacks/crash information.

That's the best way to track it down and get if fixed.

> I've been running a memory test on that server since yesterday. So far
> no errors.
>
> Since bringing up Windows domUs on SLES11 I've noticed they seem
> slightly sluggish compared to the same domU on SLES10SP2. Is there a
> test I can do to compare the performance?
>
> Anyone else running SLES11 that has noticed any of these types of
> issues?

Are you using GPLPV drivers in the Windows guest? Or Novell's Windows PV
drivers?

-- Pasi