Re: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage

To: Roland Frei <frei@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage
From: Tait Clarridge <tait@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:59:23 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:00:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 16:45 +0100, Roland Frei wrote:
> hi
>
> i am looking at all this discussion about ha storage.
> it looks to me like there are a lot of complicated solutions for the
> problem.
>
> i guess that it will be not very complicated to do all this stuff in
> the
> virtual disc driver of xen.
> basicly its just double all the read and write access to the disc
> image.
> and do the resync stuff there.
>
> meight be we shold ask the developper team if they can do it.
>
> the question is ... are there some other people that also want a
> easy
> solution or its just me.
>
> roland

There are complicated solutions because it is a complicated setup.
Where's the fun in everything being done for you?

Setting up a clustered or replicated SAN is not an easy task for
beginners, you may want to read a bit about each technology. Or set up
test servers that aren't critical machines and play around with it.

The easiest thing would be to setup the cluster using DRBD and OCFS2,
mounting it on your Xen host and using image files on the hard drive. In
this case your images can potentially survive a Xen host failure (if
there is no corruption).

Not sure if posting links is allowed, but here is a howto on creating an
iSCSI SAN with DRBD, OCFS2 and Heartbeat.

http://www.creativeanvil.com/blog/2008/how-to-create-an-iscsi-san-using-heartbeat-drbd-and-ocfs2/

If followed correctly, it will give you a storage platform to create
your VM image files on.