Re: [Xen-users] Windows PV Drivers on W2003 Question

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows PV Drivers on W2003 Question
From: James MacLean <macleajb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:19:07 -0400
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:19:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/17/2009 07:41 AM, James MacLean wrote:
On 11/17/2009 12:14 AM, James Harper wrote:
Hi James :),

On 3 slices, all W2003 built from the same base, the PV drivers
install
as expected. After the install though, if I include the XVD driver,
none
of my Windows settings appear to save over a reboot. This includes
settings such as network (IP, etc..) and services (disabled, etc...).

What device backend are you using? (eg phy: file: tap:aio etc)

James
disk=[ 'phy:/dev/mapper/nt0026,hda,w' ]

Physical. Backend is an LVM slice.

With the XP instance, I changed to xvda from hda once I had the drivers installed and noticed it appeared that would work :).

I did not change away from phy: on the W2003 instances.

JES

Tried changing from hda to xvda. This resulted in continuous boot, install driver, reboot, install driver.... and sometimes blue screen on boot :(.

So then changed phy:/ to tap:aio/ and first boot it installed the driver, but since then... it's looking good. Not asking for the driver to be installed and settings are staying changed.

So, why is phy:/ wrong, and isn't phy:/ considered faster then aio:tap:/ ?

Now I need to find some benchmark to run to show the affect of the new drivers :).

JES