RE: [Xen-users] Creating hundreds of Windows VMs

To: "'Fajar A. Nugraha'" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, <dongq.lee@xxxxxxx>, <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Creating hundreds of Windows VMs
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 08:17:17 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 07:18:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, Sysprep maintains drivers.  Another good option for XP is nLite -
it's a free tool for customizing the Windows installation source and
creating a "gold disc" of sorts that has many of your Windows install
settings pre-defined.  nLite lets you add drivers (GPLPV drivers can be
added this way so that they are automatically installed as you install
Windows), patches (you can use the Microsoft Update Catalog to grab them
and integrate them), and other files and installs to the Windows source.
 You can also remove certain hardware support, remove services, and
customize some of the low-level Windows behavior.  Finally, if you have
a volume license, you can put in your volume license key along with
other ownership information so that several of the install steps are
skipped altogether.  There's also a version that I think is called
"vLite" for Vista customization.

I use a combination of nLite plus Sysprep to build my machine images -
I use nLite to create my custom install disc, I do my install, then use
Sysprep and copy the machine image to as many machines as I need to
run.

-Nick